HowthWe were hoping to go on a field trip to Howth before the midterm break as part of a unit we are working on in geography. This has had to be postponed until after the October midterm. A note will go home regarding the field trip when a date has been finalised. :)
Monday, 23 October 2017
Week 8 Monday 23rd October - Friday 27th October
Thematic Words: Halloween, Samhain, autumn, migration, swallow, grateful, mosque, Mecca
- Monday - Phonics: ea - A. Ring all the ea words and match each story to the correct picture. B. Choose the correct word for each sentence
- Tuesday - Punctuation: Add a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark to each sentence.
- Wednesday - Comprehension: - Read the procedure Fruity Snacks and complete the activities based on it.
- Thursday - Spelling: Code the letters and find the value
Reading - Read the passages Haunted House (Monday) and Hallowe'en (Wednesday), re-tell in your own words and orally answer the questions at the bottom of the page.
- Rounding - Rounding to the nearest 10, rounding and addition.
- Tables Champion - Week 4 Monday - Thursday
Wednesday, 18 October 2017
Monday, 9 October 2017
Changes in a Locality
At the moment, we are looking at our locality, the area in which we live. We have discussed how people’s towns/villages have changed over time.
I would like the children to carry out an interview with an older family member (parent, aunt, grandparent etc.) on their locality. The aim of this activity is to get the children to talk to their parents or an elderly relative about what they remember of their past environment and how things have changed (it does not matter if the interviewee no longer lives in the area they wish to talk about).
Children will share their interviews with the class on Thursday. J
Week 6 Monday 9th October - Friday 13th October
Thematic Words: Howth, native, non-native, oak, courage, Eid-al-Fitr, edit, draft
- Monday - Phonics: ph - A. Make the words B. Write the correct 'ph' word into each sentence
- Tuesday - Commas in Lists - A. Use commas to separate the words in the lists B. List words to complete each sentence (3-4 words per sentence), use commas and the word and.
- Wednesday - Comprehension: - Read the fantasy The Little People and complete the activities based on it.
- Thursday - Spelling: Write this weeks spelling words in alphabetical
Reading - Read the passages Invitation (Monday) and Snail Wail (Wednesday), re-tell in your own words and orally answer the questions at the bottom of the page.
- Hundred Square - Use the 100 square to complete the problems
- Tables Champion - Week 2 Monday - Thursday
S.E.S.E - Geography
- Monday - Wednesday: Interview an older family member about how their locality has changed.
Monday, 2 October 2017
Week 5 Monday 2nd October - Friday 6th October
Thematic Words: locality, fact, town, village, bark, conker, responsibility, consequence
- Monday - Phonics: wh - Write the correct 'wh' word into each sentence
- Tuesday - Question words - A. What pet would you like and why? B. Write 2 - 4 questions you might have about taking care of a pet e.g. How often do I need to feed it? What does it eat?
- Wednesday - Comprehension: - Read the play The Tin Trunk and complete the activities based on it.
- Thursday - Spelling: Write this weeks spelling words and circle the consonants (all letters excluding vowels) in each
Reading - Read the passages Tomatoes (Monday) and Foxes (Wednesday), re-tell in your own words and orally answer the questions at the bottom of the page.
- Greater than, less than, equal - Use the symbols <, > or = to complete each number sentence. (the mouth is always open to the greater number)
- Hundred Square - Fill in the missing numbers (remember across the rows the numbers go up by 1, down the columns the numbers go up by 10)
- Tables Champion - Week 1 Monday - Thursday